Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Olympic Mullet

I've been ranting about the messy hair epidemic that's plaguing women's gymnastics since the Olympic trials. (Although it's my favorite sport, I must admit I only really follow it every four years.) I hoped that with the fall of Nastia, the worst offender, the hairstyle would quickly go out of fashion before the real games began, but it seems the opposite happened. The sloppy trend has now spread to the heads of the majority of the U.S. women's team.

It's very confusing to me that these girls whose lives revolve around achieving perfection allow their hair to look so half-assed. Literally. It's a half ponytail that hasn't been pulled through to completion, flopping around slovenly, encouraging rebel layers to break free of color-coordinated scrunchies.

Or perhaps the hairstyle is akin to the "just rolled out of bed" or "beach hair" looks that actually require significant prep time. I wouldn't be surprised to catch the gymnasts staring at the mirror intently, pulling a few symmetrical strands through to create a very deliberate effect before the whole appalling 'do is sprayed down with industrial-strength hair glue.

But why?? I have to find a reason in order to get past how much I hate the lazy look and root for my country. So here's my explanation, and it's actually quite patriotic: It's the Olympic mullet -- athlete in the front, party in the back. It evokes great American traditions like NASCAR, fannypacks, arrogance -- and dominating the Olympics.


Photo credit: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/07/29/2137693/us-womens-gymnasts-to-start-on.html

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Interesting theory.... Did you notice Jordyn was the only one who didn't do it? But then she did it for one event - maybe beam - and then her neat ponytail was back for floor. She's really conflicted about jumping on the sloppy ponytail bandwagon...

Amy said...

I totally noticed that! Poor Jordyn :(

Anna said...

Funny Amy, I'm so glad the blog is back in action :) I can actually see how it would help keep their hair off their neck, which would be annoying while in competition. But there are a few easy answers to that, not involving mullets. A neat bun, cut the hair so it's not long enough to hit the neck while in a pony tail, or just pull a Britney and shave it off. The last option would give them less headaches from how tight they pull those dang pony tails, and all those freaking clips. It makes my head hurt just looking at their head!

Amy said...

I like Aly Raisman's neat bun - I will be rooting for her :)

Lady Persimmons Dandy said...

Totally noticed this as well!! I thought this topic would be all over the web but not so...apparently most everyone else is oblivious. So different from any other olympic gymnastics team of the past. Kind of confused but maybe it means something...get a gold and it will be popping up all over 2016 Olympiad!

Amy said...

I too am confused as to why more people don't share my outrage... I was very excited they got the gold but sincerely hope that doesn't further the messy hair trend :-/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin