Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Girls rock" is SO last season

First Forever 21 and J.C. Penney came out with shirts for girls that said "Allergic to Algebra" and "I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother has to do it for me" (sexist, terribly written AND hideous!).



And now Gymboree is selling "Smart like Dad" and "Pretty like Mommy" onesies. Apparently a "Smart like Mommy" variation doesn't exist.


What's next? Maternity tops that proclaim across the belly, "Here's hoping she's dumb and beautiful!"? Adorable!


JC Penney and Forever 21 pulled their shirts when customers voiced their outrage. Sign this petition to tell Gymboree they're perpetuating damaging gender stereotypes.


Photo credits:
http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/sexist_shirts/?r=231259&id=27202-2415163-OdD0YBx
http://sparkamovement.tumblr.com/post/12568193592/whenrobotsreproduce-a-friend-of-mine-posted-a

3 comments:

Stella said...

There is no hope, is there? On top of "Breaking Dawn" we have these stupid shirts. . . I bet Bella has one too. . . vomit.

Amy said...

Ugh I could write a book about what a terrible example Bella is for girls...

The Singlutionary said...

I'm glad there was outrage. Glad but surprised actually. I am so used to this kind of gendered crap when it comes to kids clothes! You can't buy a kid an outfit that isn't pink & ruffled or blue and practical.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin