Friday, December 11, 2009

Unlaid Plans

I figured out why it’s so irritating that (some) men have an aversion to planning. It’s not because it can be construed as inconsiderate, or because it might be a sign of commitment issues, or even because it makes dressing oneself appropriately more difficult … No, it’s because it stunts conversation.

Think about an average exchange between a couple who has been together for a while:

“Have I ever told you the story about that one party in college -”

“Yes.”

“Oh, but did I tell you the part where I fell -”

“Yes.”

“Oh, and then that other time I drank too much -”

“I was there.”

“Oh yeah ... So, um, what should we do for New Year’s?”

“I don’t know what’s going on yet. We’ll figure it out later.”

Silence.

There comes a time when there are no stories left to tell, and at that time, wouldn’t it be great if you could fill the void by making plans that might produce new stories? Apparently not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's shockingly true!Couples should always try to do stuff together all the time so they don't wake up one morning to find out that they are bored to death!

Roni Loren said...

Lol. We just let each other tell the same stories over again. And I'm often the one who is reluctant to make plans when my husband wants to outline everything. I'd rather be spontaneous. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin