Thursday, November 20, 2008

Baby it's creepy inside

So I’m totally psycho obsessed with holidays—especially Christmas (!)—and I can’t deny it… I’ve been listening to my Christmas station on Pandora for a couple of weeks now. Normal people get annoyed with the infiltration of Christmas merchandise and music creeping earlier and earlier into the fall every year, but I love it. Every last second of it—up until TBS stops looping A Christmas Story (can’t get enough of Ralphie!).

But my premature holiday bliss was interrupted the other day when for some reason, after all these years, I realized how creepy the song “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is.


Lyrics | - Baby It’s Cold Outside lyrics

Some of the more disturbing lines:

Unfortunate Female: The neighbors might thinkCreepy Dude: Baby, it's bad out there

UF: Say, what's in this drink (um, I think it’s called Rohypnol)CD: No cabs to be had out there

UF: I wish I knew howCD: Your eyes are like starlight now

UF: To break this spellCD: I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

UF: I ought to say no, no, no, sirCD: Mind if I move a little closer (ah yes, moving closer is exactly what you do when you hear “no.”)

UF: At least I'm gonna say that I tried (Oh jeez…)CD: What's the sense in hurting my pride

UF: I really can't stayCD: Baby don't hold out (Ick!)

And he keeps pushing…

UF: I simply must goCD: Baby, it's cold outside

UF: The answer is no CD: Ooh baby, it's cold outside

UF: My sister will be suspiciousCD: Man, your lips look so delicious

UF: My brother will be there at the doorCD: Waves upon a tropical shore

UF: My maiden aunt's mind is viciousCD: Gosh your lips look delicious (Uh, I think she heard that one before...)

UF: Well maybe just a half a drink moreCD: Never such a blizzard before

Um… disturbing much? And according to Wikipedia, the woman’s part is called “The Mouse,” and the man’s part is called “The Wolf.” Double ick! Now, I realize the song was written in 1944, when norms regarding female sexuality (or rather, lack thereof) really lent themselves to miscommunication and/or date rape, but while I find most old-school holiday songs to be quite quaint and warm and fuzzy, I think this particular throwback should be retired.

5 comments:

Abby said...

While I agree that the lyrics are creepy, I'm willing to overlook it. I just like the song too much. And, when you think about it, the lyrics in a lot of the songs we dance to at bars are a lot worse (I'm blanking on specific examples right now, but I'll get back to you).

Amy said...

GP... I remember dancing to "My Neck, My Back" freshman year at a frat party and being extremely disturbed with myself after realizing what I was singing along to... suppose I shd have been more disturbed by the boys I was letting crack open my Natty Lights for me.

Katie said...

I too am willing to overlook it. My favorite Christmas movie, All I Want For Christmas, the little girl Haley and her grandma perform the duet for their holiday part. So I think it's cute and forget about the creepiness. I highly recommend the movie if you haven't seen it. I'm sure it will be on ABC Family channel. I do have the dvd though. It's the second cheesiest christmas movie next to A Very Brady Christmas, which I still watch each year. Man I love Christmas, but ONLY after Thanksgiving Amy.

Caroline said...

Triple ick! I'm not overlooking it. But then again, I never liked the song in the first place. I don't even know if I've really ever heard it..... Anyway, the clincher to this story is the fact that you've been singing it to mock some dorky middle school teacher for years - do you remember that???

Amy said...

Mrs. Kessler!!! I def. should have found a way to work her into this post... ew the Jessica Simpson version is actually playing on Pandora right now. Quadruple ick!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin